Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer for Blue Mountain Television Sharathon  (Read 38066 times)

GrandmaNettie

Re: Prayer for Blue Mountain Television Sharathon
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »

I'll address #2 and ponder #1.  You are correct about you not calling for them to dismiss or drop the law suit, but Bob and others certainly have.  Were you ever critical of them for doing so?

Yes, Gailon, I have been fully aware of how pleased you felt to engage in this battle.  It seems like an enjoyable pasttime for you.  Others weren't so pleased.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

I'll address #2 and ponder #1.  You are correct about you not calling for them to dismiss or drop the law suit, but Bob and others certainly have.  Were you ever critical of them for doing so?

Yes, Gailon, I have been fully aware of how pleased you felt to engage in this battle.  It seems like an enjoyable pasttime for you.  Others weren't so pleased.

Were you EVER privy to the inner counsel? Believe me, we would never have allowed Mahta Hari to participate in the inner counsel. Those who were known to work both sides were identified early on, isolated and determined their value as intelligence sources. They were given information deemed to get a response for intelligence purposes and otherwise limited.

But, Grandma, did you ever see Bob or his counsel file a motion to dismiss? Put two and two together and tell me what an "intelligent" person like yourself would deduce as the answer to you ridiculous question!!!

Now, why don't you take your incidious little detraction game and "ponder" it for a while. When you get done, let's play chess some day!!! You would have a better chance at winning that game, Grandma.

Gailon Arthur Joy

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Now, why don't you take your incidious little detraction game and "ponder" it for a while. When you get done, let's play chess some day!!! You would have a better chance at winning that game, Grandma.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Play Chess!!!!!!! EW soundly denounces that game if I remember right. How would you know how to play the game
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »

Gailon Arthur Joy

Play Chess!!!!!!! EW soundly denounces that game if I remember right. How would you know how to play the game

Wow, you are correct Bonnie!  It seems EGW was pretty specific about the game of chess:

Such mental exercise as playing cards, chess, and checkers, excites and wearies the brain and hinders recovery: while light and pleasant physical labor will occupy the time, improve the circulation, relieve and restore the brain, and prove a decided benefit to the health. But take from the invalid all such employment, and he becomes restless, and, with a diseased imagination, views his case as much worse than it really is, which tends to imbecility. {PH145 49.2}

"I was shown that it is not essential to our salvation, nor for the glory of God, for us to keep the mind laboring, even upon religious themes, constantly and excessively. There are amusements which we cannot approve, because Heaven condemns them,--such as dancing, card-playing, chess, checkers, &c. These amusements open the door for great evil. Their tendencies are not beneficial, but their influence upon the mind is to excite and produce in some minds a passion for those plays which lead to gambling, and dissolute lives. All such plays should be condemned by Christians. Something should be substituted in the place of these amusements. Something can be invented, perfectly harmless. {RH, October 8, 1867 par. 29}

"I was shown that the position of Dr. Jackson in regard to amusements was wrong, and that his views of physical exercise were not all correct. The very amusements he recommends hinder the recovery of health in many cases, where one is helped by them. And physical labor for the sick, is to a great degree condemned by Dr. Jackson, which proves in many cases the greatest injury, while such mental exercise as playing at cards, chess, and checkers, excites and wearies the brain, and hinders recovery. Light and pleasant physical labor will occupy the time, improve the circulation, relieve and restore the brain, and prove a decided benefit to the health. But take from the invalid all such employment, and he becomes restless, and, with a diseased imagination, views his case as much worse than it really is, which tends to imbecility. {RH, October 8, 1867 par. 35}

Recreation is needful to those who are engaged in physical labor, and is still more essential for those whose labor is principally mental. It is not essential to our salvation, nor for the glory of God, to keep the mind laboring constantly and excessively, even upon religious themes. There are amusements, such as dancing, card-playing, chess, checkers, etc., which we cannot approve, because Heaven condemns them. These amusements open the door for great evil. They are not beneficial in their tendency, but have an exciting influence, producing in some minds a passion for those plays which lead to gambling and dissipation. All such plays should be condemned by Christians, and something perfectly harmless should be substituted in their place. {MYP 392.1}

I was shown that the position of Dr. E in regard to amusements was wrong, and that his views of physical exercise were not all correct. The amusements which he recommends hinder the recovery of health in many cases to one that is helped by them. He has to a great degree condemned physical labor for the sick, and his teaching in many cases has proved a great injury to them. Such mental exercise as playing cards, chess, and checkers excites and wearies the brain and hinders recovery, while light and pleasant physical labor will occupy the time, improve the circulation, relieve and restore the brain, and prove a decided benefit to the health. But take from the invalid all such employment, and he becomes restless, and, with a diseased imagination, views his case as much worse than it really is, which tends to imbecility. {1T 554.3}

It began in the Sanitarium before Dr. Kellogg came into the institution. Persons who came there to board and room brought in chess playing and many other amusements. This was not right, and the Lord rebuked the management. Our Sanitariums are not to cater to the perverted tastes of worldly people. The same evils have existed in the Sanitarium on the hillside. A few years ago the managers made it more of a hotel than an institution for healing the sick. In the rooms of the guests could be seen the wine bottles that they had brought with them. The boarders indulged appetite for many harmful things. God was not at all pleased with the course pursued by the management in allowing such indulgence; for His purpose in the establishment of the institution was not being carried out. He sent light in regard to it, and the result was that some in leading positions withdrew. They said, "If we refuse to serve meat, we cannot hold the patrons." But whether patronage increases or decreases, right principles must be upheld in the Lord's institutions. In all our work we are to show the advantage of a health reform diet. Between us and the world there is to be a distinct line of demarcation. {KC 143.5}

Passage after passage...  The message is quite clear.  She even goes so far as to say that "Heaven condemns" it.

Gailon, were you aware of the EGW position on chess when you played it as a child?  How about when you tossed out the invitation for us to play chess some day?  Do you believe it is a sinful game since she said so?  Do you have a chess set in your home?  I have one or two.  My grandkids have lost a piece from one of them.  Have you taught your grandkids to play yet?

??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Habanero

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »

Gailon Arthur Joy

Yes, a leader who needs followers who don't think for themselves and can't see past the first move would want games like Chess banned. Chess just might increase a child's intellectual strength and that might bring them to study and question things, and that might end up causing them to figure out how shaky a foundation has been laid for them to build their lives upon.

judibug61

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2008, 06:10:45 AM »

I rarely reply on these sites....But I must in this instance....I have to say that I am eternally grateful for the church family I have, and the Pastor I have...in fact the church I attend, because unlike most I read here, I had a VERY BLESSED SABBATH.......as I do every Sabbath.....I appears that Satan is having a field day on these sites, as he has accomplished exactly what he intended........ folks questioning there faith, the Spirit of Prophecy Council that we as a people have been so privileged to have, The Lord is coming soon people,,,,,we must be preparing....He will take care of ALL the sin in the camps, regardless of what or who it is...............We have to remain faithful and prepare for the Time of Trouble that is upon us...........We need to be watching Mark Finley, Doug Batchelor and all Pastors who are preaching the last day message.....I Pray for All..................as Satans day of reckoning is approaching, he is trying to make sure everyone pays alittle so his price want seem so bad.....Please,  don't play into his hands......Remain faithful to God, he will take care of all this.........We need to concentrate on the heavens opening  ....Soon...very Soon............
judibug

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2008, 06:27:16 AM »

I was talking to a lawyer friend here about this.  He told me that, in his opinion, the court probably wouldn't look favourably towards 3ABN and Danny Shelton for wasting the court's time.  He also felt that both 3ABN and Danny Shelton wouldn't be very well thought of by the public for launching the lawsuit and then seeking it to be dismissed.

Did your friend weigh in on what he thought the public would think of Bob and Gailon should they fight to keep 3abn from getting the law suit dismissed after complaining so much about it being filed in the first place and repeatedly calling on them to drop it?

It will be interesting to see just how the court will view the actions of all.

Absurd question. They are explicitly asking to dismiss the lawsuit without prejudice, which means that they could refile at any time, even though the lawsuit was frivolous to begin with.

The gall of these folks to waste my time for a year and a half, and then walk away falsely claiming victory without so much as an apology, let alone compensation.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »

I rarely reply on these sites....But I must in this instance....I have to say that I am eternally grateful for the church family I have, and the Pastor I have...in fact the church I attend, because unlike most I read here, I had a VERY BLESSED SABBATH.......as I do every Sabbath.....I appears that Satan is having a field day on these sites, as he has accomplished exactly what he intended........ folks questioning there faith, the Spirit of Prophecy Council that we as a people have been so privileged to have, The Lord is coming soon people,,,,,we must be preparing....He will take care of ALL the sin in the camps, regardless of what or who it is...............We have to remain faithful and prepare for the Time of Trouble that is upon us...........We need to be watching Mark Finley, Doug Batchelor and all Pastors who are preaching the last day message.....I Pray for All..................as Satans day of reckoning is approaching, he is trying to make sure everyone pays alittle so his price want seem so bad.....Please,  don't play into his hands......Remain faithful to God, he will take care of all this.........We need to concentrate on the heavens opening  ....Soon...very Soon............

I do believe, and I don't play chess. Doubt anyone will claim I'm dwarfed in intellectual strength in consequence.

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2008, 07:03:43 AM »

I was talking to a lawyer friend here about this.  He told me that, in his opinion, the court probably wouldn't look favourably towards 3ABN and Danny Shelton for wasting the court's time.  He also felt that both 3ABN and Danny Shelton wouldn't be very well thought of by the public for launching the lawsuit and then seeking it to be dismissed.

Did your friend weigh in on what he thought the public would think of Bob and Gailon should they fight to keep 3abn from getting the law suit dismissed after complaining so much about it being filed in the first place and repeatedly calling on them to drop it?

It will be interesting to see just how the court will view the actions of all.

Absurd question. They are explicitly asking to dismiss the lawsuit without prejudice, which means that they could refile at any time, even though the lawsuit was frivolous to begin with.

The gall of these folks to waste my time for a year and a half, and then walk away falsely claiming victory without so much as an apology, let alone compensation.

Bob, perhaps you weren't precise enough in the posts you made when asking them to drop the friolous law suit.  I don't remember reading one post from you that specified dropping the law suit without prejudice.

You may read the request as them claiming victory, but when I read it, it appeared to me that they were saying three of the major issues that they had brought the suit over had been resolved by means other than the law suit.  To me it appeared that one could argue that if they were to continue the law suit at this point, with those three issues resolved to their satisfaction, it would become frivolous and a waste of time.  Of course, I'm not trained in these matters so it is simply my Nettie the Grandma take on what I read.

Isn't the Oral Arguments phase the time when you can request compensation and apologies,  Isn't it the phase of the motion where the conditions all wish to see in order to accept the dismissal of the law suit can be made?  Just wondering.
??? ?? ??? ?? ????

Habanero

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:16 AM »

I do believe, and I don't play chess. Doubt anyone will claim I'm dwarfed in intellectual strength in consequence.
Now Bob, I wouldn't make any claim that your intellect was dwarfed, but I can think of a few people who might, and in fact, I can think of some who I think have implied it. Lol. (Ian, Junebug, Sam, Steffan, Appletree, GrandmaNettie, Bonnie, etc.)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »

Now Bob, I wouldn't make any claim that your intellect was dwarfed, but I can think of a few people who might, and in fact, I can think of some who I think have implied it. Lol. (Ian, Junebug, Sam, Steffan, Appletree, GrandmaNettie, Bonnie, etc.)

:)

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 07:23:50 AM »

Bob, perhaps you weren't precise enough in the posts you made when asking them to drop the friolous law suit.  I don't remember reading one post from you that specified dropping the law suit without prejudice.

A frivolous lawsuit is one that is without merit. Thus such statements imply dismissal with prejudice since there was never a real basis for the suit to begin with.

You may read the request as them claiming victory, but when I read it, it appeared to me that they were saying three of the major issues that they had brought the suit over had been resolved by means other than the law suit.

And of course their unsupported and contradicted claims to that effect are a farce and a fraud.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2008, 07:24:16 AM »

You can be a genius without a ounce of common sense.
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

GrandmaNettie

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »

But Gailon, your fellow investigator joining  you in the call to remove sin from the 3abn camp, plays and promotes the playing of chess... even while stessing the importance of following the truth in the EGW writings.  He has referred to his chess playing many times and has invited some of those he spars with to play it with him someday.

Is it acceptable for one to call for the removal of the sins of others while still openly admitting to playing a game that the EGW quotes say "Heaven condemns"?   From the passages I have read, it doesn't look like chess is an okay sin, because she says "the Lord rebuked the management" of the Sanitarium (before Dr. Kellogg came) because people "who came there to board and room brought in chess playing and many other amusements."  She also described the effects such games have on the mind.

"These amusements open the door for great evil. Their tendencies are not beneficial, but their influence upon the mind is to excite and produce in some minds a passion for those plays which lead to gambling, and dissolute lives. All such plays should be condemned by Christians.  {RH, October 8, 1867 par. 29}"

It appears that the message against games like chess, etc, is that they are just as detrimental to one's health and well-being as the reading of fiction and the works of "infidels" that she also condemns.  Do you really think it's safe and acceptable to partner with those who are obviously flaunting the SDA standards?  Would you include people in your fight to rid sin from 3abn's camp who also flaunt these and other SDA standards found in the Spirit of Prophecy writings?

??? ?? ??? ?? ????

quaddie47

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2008, 07:53:25 AM »

Just a bit of info from the web about chess:

Improve Your Memory Skills

If you think that an older person can out maneuver you in a game of chess because he is more experienced, then your are making a big mistake. In a survey done in 2005, the majority of people can retain most of their mental capabilities well into their old age.

Playing a game of chess is a great mental activity. It is more than an interesting pastime. It is like teasing the brain and chess players are in fact training their brains. In one test done in Beijing China, a group of Chinese scientists set out to map the effects of a mental activity like chess on the mind. In a park where a group of 50 or more retired Chinese men congregate daily to play Chinese Chess, the researchers found that most of the men had above average mental and cognitive skills. They could hold witty and intelligent conversation and are much less prone to depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. The research, spanning over 5 years conclude that the mental faculties of the group of chess-playing men showed no signs of waning as the group continued to age. If fact, their memory continued to improve.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up