Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Subpoena Issued for Advent Talk Information  (Read 52430 times)

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: Subpoena Issued for Advent Talk Information
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

Aaww - poor J.R.!!!  Don't feel left out!!  I'll share my spot with you!!  Like I've said before, I have lots to say!!  I can't wait to get to court!!  I think I offered to go right after Fran!!

Hey, I want to get on that list!   If I say "Danny Sheldon is a JERK" would they sue me too?   FWIW   His former wife....is, IMO a sweet Christian lady....   she should be happy to have gotten rid of such a JERK!

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »

Excellent, Inga!  I'll looking forward to the contact info you post.  I'm not a techie, but it would sure seem that complying with a seemingly frivolous request might not be good for business... :dunno:

BTW...I don't have many phishes in my pond either, but the few I have are piranhas...

Bonnie, I don't believe that DS & 3ABN are trying to get information from us. If they did, they know where to find a number of us.

However Danny (aka AppleTree) and his supporters have, for months, hinted at law suits aimed at various posters. This is a "shot across the bow" of those posters to "cease and desist." The threat is that if we do not, we will find ourselves at the wrong end of a law suit.

The law suit need not have any merit whatsoever. However, it costs money to defend oneself against various frivolous charges and motions -- as Joy and Pickle are experiencing.

This is the classic way by which the rich and powerful regularly abuse the (relatively) poor and powerless.

I find it interesting that the subpoena is to be served to BlueHost, who presumably have no real interest to oppose the subpoena. Are they afraid that if they served the owner of the domain name or the web site, they might run into some opposition.

However, we can let BlueHost know that if they do not oppose a subpoena served for frivolous reasons, we will let the hosting community know about this. In my next post, I will post relevant contact information.

Johann

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

I am taking measures to be in on the fun. I have had my first talk with one of the lawyers involved, and we have an appointment to continue. Keep it in your prayers.

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »

So, any of you going to oppose the subpoena in the courts? Going to try to get in on the deposition.
Well, it seems to me that, for starters, it is up to BlueHost to protect their customers. And if they don't, those of us whose privacy is violated should let the internet community know.

Here's the main BlueHost web site: http://www.bluehost.com/
Just call the "Question" number on the main page. You have a "question" regarding whether BlueHost values its customers enough to protect their privacy. Everyone on this board should call them and voice concerns over privacy, because if some of us are at risk, all of us are at risk. (The phone number actually goes to "Sales Support." If they get enough such calls, *somebody* will hear about it.)

Here's their forum: http://www.bluehostforum.com/
You have to register to post. Either post to a privacy concerns topic already there (started by me), or start your own topic. Ask if BlueHost stands up for forum users' right to privacy.
And you might suggest that other communities such as
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ (See http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4904608&highlight=bluehost#post4904608) will probably be interested to see whether or not BlueHost will challenge the subpoena to see whether the lawyer issuing the subpoena has valid reasons for requesting the information.

And then, of course, there are many other web hosting fora. WebHostingTalk is one of the more popular ones.

Another site for evaluating BlueHost is at http://hostjury.com/reviews/Bluehost We will know what to post there after we find out whether BlueHost does anything to protect our privacy. They're actually big enough to afford it better than you or I.

Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

inga

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

I am taking measures to be in on the fun. I have had my first talk with one of the lawyers involved, and we have an appointment to continue. Keep it in your prayers.
What do you mean by "one of the lawyers involved"?

The subpoena was signed by one lawyer -- Hayes.

And, by the way, folks, why not post all the contact information for the lawyers involved? Those of us who have flat-rate long-distance plans can afford to call them regularly -- or at least as often as time permits.  ;D

Sure wish our youngest son were still a teenager at home. He used to love talking calls from telemarketers ... "Let me answer it, Mom!!" He was great at stringing them along before they caught on (poor telemarketers!). I think he would have enjoyed calling the lawyers too. His voice was deep enough not to give away his age. ;D
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »

What do you mean by "one of the lawyers involved"?

The subpoena was signed by one lawyer -- Hayes.

And, by the way, folks, why not post all the contact information for the lawyers involved? Those of us who have flat-rate long-distance plans can afford to call them regularly -- or at least as often as time permits.  ;D

Sure wish our youngest son were still a teenager at home. He used to love talking calls from telemarketers ... "Let me answer it, Mom!!" He was great at stringing them along before they caught on (poor telemarketers!). I think he would have enjoyed calling the lawyers too. His voice was deep enough not to give away his age. ;D

Is there a reference number to this subpoena? Even tho I am on the list which is crazy enough, I haven't a clue why except for one post referenced.
Nothing like a legal threat and you are not sure what illegality you have committed  ???

To crazy.

Would like all information needed before I call,
Thanks
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »

So, any of you going to oppose the subpoena in the courts? Going to try to get in on the deposition.
Well, it seems to me that, for starters, it is up to BlueHost to protect their customers. And if they don't, those of us whose privacy is violated should let the internet community know.

Here's the main BlueHost web site: http://www.bluehost.com/
Just call the "Question" number on the main page. You have a "question" regarding whether BlueHost values its customers enough to protect their privacy. Everyone on this board should call them and voice concerns over privacy, because if some of us are at risk, all of us are at risk. (The phone number actually goes to "Sales Support." If they get enough such calls, *somebody* will hear about it.)

Here's their forum: http://www.bluehostforum.com/
You have to register to post. Either post to a privacy concerns topic already there (started by me), or start your own topic. Ask if BlueHost stands up for forum users' right to privacy.
And you might suggest that other communities such as
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ (See http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4904608&highlight=bluehost#post4904608) will probably be interested to see whether or not BlueHost will challenge the subpoena to see whether the lawyer issuing the subpoena has valid reasons for requesting the information.

And then, of course, there are many other web hosting fora. WebHostingTalk is one of the more popular ones.

Another site for evaluating BlueHost is at http://hostjury.com/reviews/Bluehost We will know what to post there after we find out whether BlueHost does anything to protect our privacy. They're actually big enough to afford it better than you or I.

Excellent Inga!
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Here is the actual subpoena in pdf format as previously provided by Observer over at BSDA and made available to you here by me.

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »

I have wondered why my name had not been brought up until now!   I am sure 3ABN knows who and where I am.  If that is what they are looking for, it will not provide anything new.

I really need to start posting.  If they are coming after me, I should make it worth their trouble by detailing those financial documents that are so damaging. 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

Now folks, be careful. BlueHost has great service and great tech support.

And read this: http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=279

So compliment them profusely as well as express your concerns.

By the way, I read somewhere that a subpoena signed by an attorney may not necessarily be a court order in at least some jurisdictions when it comes to letting an accountant off of accountant-client privilege, or something like that. Maybe what I read dealt with a tax preparer-client privilege.

At any rate, is this subpoena considered a court order in Utah or in US District Court? I don't know.

sonshineonme

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 04:15:11 PM »

I have wondered why my name had not been brought up until now!   I am sure 3ABN knows who and where I am.  If that is what they are looking for, it will not provide anything new.

I really need to start posting.  If they are coming after me, I should make it worth their trouble by detailing those financial documents that are so damaging. 

Fran, I LOVE your posts - always! So, get to it girl!  ;D
Maybe they think you are really Linda!?  :ROFL:
"...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. "

inga

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

Yes, Fran, you can probably re-post the material you posted on BlackSDA.It's buried there, and it will get more exposure here. So it will make your efforts count for more.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »

Sheesh, this dear boy is in my back yard. Maybe should invite him for lunch someday.
If the following is what has them all shook up and warrants my name on a subpoena,could make one wonder if the cestapo has landed :ROFL:

Crazy,crazy, crazy. Would love to see this explained on 3ABN

bonnie

Re: What's Happening With the Lawsuit?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 01:17:30 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is surprising how many would let this go. I am sure those involved are not finding it an easy road. At times it is easy to feel if most don't care,"Why should I"
Just smoothing this over and pretending great changes are taking place with new parties involved really isn't taking care of it.
Unless all those willingly involved in this mess are removed, the change is cosmetic only

Bonnie

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »

Yes, please, please, please Fran!!

BTW, the individual I just spoke with at BlueHost suggested emailing their legal department at:

abuse@bluehost.com

inga

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

Now folks, be careful. BlueHost has great service and great tech support.

And read this: http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=279

So compliment them profusely as well as express your concerns.
I don't know about complimenting them "profusely." ;) That's hardly my style.

However, we can express appreciation for the service that seems to have been reliable. We can also express appreciation for the stand they took in the document above. Then we can express the confident hope that they will do their utmost to protect our privacy and not comply with a frivolous subpoena without protest.

If they require a court injunction to release information, that would be a lot safer for us.

I haven't posted at the BlueHost forum yet because the BlackSDA forum seems to be down, and Gregory posted some helpful legal terminology in his post there.

[Modified] If the abuse email address goes to their legal department, that would be another good option.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up