Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Seventh-day Adventist Church's Relationship to 3ABN?  (Read 40436 times)

bonnie

• Veteran Member
Re: What is the Seventh-day Adventist Church's Relationship to 3ABN?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »

It isn't that we are going to get to the point of being desensitized, we are they. I am not so sure it can all be blamed on tv.
This began long before there was the type of garbage on TV. Our denomination as well as others did not suddenly wake up desensitized.
We do not have a very good history of putting a stop to abusive practices. Whether it be financial, criminal, sexual or other abuses.
The history was not caused by TV. Now it ceratinly adds, but it did not create

More times than I can count I have been told to leave it to Christ. He will take care of all when he comes and m,ake all things right
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Ozzie

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »

It isn't that we are going to get to the point of being desensitized, we are they. I am not so sure it can all be blamed on tv.
This began long before there was the type of garbage on TV. Our denomination as well as others did not suddenly wake up desensitized.
We do not have a very good history of putting a stop to abusive practices. Whether it be financial, criminal, sexual or other abuses.
The history was not caused by TV. Now it ceratinly adds, but it did not create

More times than I can count I have been told to leave it to Christ. He will take care of all when he comes and m,ake all things right

And meanwhile... evil continues unabated and we're supposed to sit back, cool our heels and do nothing? :scratch: I don't think so, but there are many who cry me down, when I say otherwise.  I guess I'd  better get off my soap box?
:dunno:
Ozzie

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
~ Frank Sculley.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »

Yup. It has recently been strongly implied that I am not a loyal SDA and that I lack the bible knowledge of one that strongly disagrees.

If being a loyal SDA requires mindless,cultic loyalty in the face of things that are so drastically wrong, I consider it a compliment that is is obvious I am not one
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »

If being a loyal SDA requires mindless,cultic loyalty in the face of things that are so drastically wrong, I consider it a compliment that is is obvious I am not one

Good for you bonnie!  If that is what it means then I don't want to be one either.

Ozzie

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »

Yup. It has recently been strongly implied that I am not a loyal SDA and that I lack the bible knowledge of one that strongly disagrees.

Bonnie, I typed a reply to you, 'going off' about the fact that I've been voted our of Church Board and then membership, because I would not 'cover' abuse and my post all disappeared into cyber space. :scratch: I think I told you about 'whistleblowing' in a particular health system about the abuse that was occurring there.

I can be called a disloyal SDA/employee or whatever, whatever is chosen, but I KNOW what I must do in those circumstances, and it's not keep my mouth shut and pretend abuse does not exist; whether that be in the church or in government departments.

Sorry, I couldn't type it again again, as I have a 'broken wing' - the one I use most, and the pain is telling me to go and rest it again. Maybe, it's meant to get me off my 'soap box' for awhile! :cat:
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 07:20:04 AM »

Being a loyal SDA means standing for the right though the heavens fall.

"When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage and firmness the most unflinching. To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason" (LDE 180).

You'd think Ellen White had to be a prophet to hit it right on like that.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »

Being a loyal SDA means standing for the right though the heavens fall.

"When the religion of Christ is most held in contempt, when His law is most despised, then should our zeal be the warmest and our courage and firmness the most unflinching. To stand in defense of truth and righteousness when the majority forsake us, to fight the battles of the Lord when champions are few--this will be our test. At this time we must gather warmth from the coldness of others, courage from their cowardice, and loyalty from their treason" (LDE 180).

You'd think Ellen White had to be a prophet to hit it right on like that.

It doesn't matter what the abuse is,those that condone by selected "sound bites" of scripture, by silence,by abusive actions themselves are the very ones that fear three little words. PREVENTION,EDUCATION,SUPPORT. Those three words spell power in the hands of any victim and expousure for those that can least deal with it.

Given the right tools has the same effect a unarmed burgler would feel suddenly faced with a angry homeowner with a big gun squarely in his face. Those that opposse Prevention,Education,Support are scared .

Scared of expousure. The only recourse is to opposse that which would empower those that work towards education and the prevention of further abuses.

To add a bit of scriptual support for their stand of non-action,blocking action, or accusations towards those that do want to see this type of action in place,they hammer with little sound bites that make them look so righteous in the eyes of others.

"Accuser of the brethren" is always a good one to back up their apathy towards abuse and wrong doing.
"Let he who is witout sin cast the first stone" is great for silencing anyone and protects their secret little ones God will surely wink at
"Writing the sin quietly in the sand" is a favorite
"If you can do it better,go for it" is another
The list is quite long, has been very effective till now. Oops, now comes the internet and victims and those wishing to protect victims are no longer isolated. The SDA world is more and more connected. This one knows that one and that one knows another and piece by piece that which they have tried so hard to hide starts to unravel.
Expousure in one area may just bring expousure in area's they can least stand the light. Can't take that chance so resistance becomes more intense . Their often repeated statement of "truth can stand investigation" suddenly may come and bite them in the backside. Their promoted self image can disintergrate right before their eyes.

No wonder the panic,scrambling to prevent Prevention,Education and Support. One never knows where arming others with those tools will lead. It may very well come right to their back door.

Maybe I lack the superior biblical knowledge of those that opposse this and maybe my membership as a mindless,non-thinking,cultic SDA is in question, but I hope I never become "christian" enough or SDA enough, that I become a member of this club

=====

Edited to correct quoting problem only. - Daryl :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:19:04 PM by Daryl Fawcett »

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »

This is what Counsel tells us and i cannot put it any better: 

"Choose poverty, reproach, separation from friends, or any suffering rather than to defile the soul with sin. Death before dishonor or the transgression of God's law should be the motto of every Christian. As a people professing to be reformers, treasuring the most solemn, purifying truths of God's word, we must elevate the standard far higher than it is at the present time. Sin and sinners in the church must be promptly dealt with, that others may not be contaminated. Truth and purity require that we make more thorough work to cleanse the camp from Achans. Let those in responsible positions not suffer sin in a brother. Show him that he must either put away his sins or be separated from the church. {5T 147.1}
     When the individual members of the church shall act as true followers of the meek and lowly Saviour, there will be less covering up and excusing of sin. All will strive to act as if in God's presence. They will realize that His all-seeing eye is ever upon them and that the most secret thought is known to Him. The character, the motives, the desires and purposes, are as clear as the light of the sun to the eye of the Omnipotent. But few bear this in mind. The larger class by far do not realize what a fearful account must be rendered at the bar of God by all the transgressors of His law. {5T 147.2}

Can you who have professed to receive such great light be content with a low level? Oh, how earnestly and constantly should we seek for the divine presence and a realization of the solemn truths that the end of all things is at hand and that the Judge of all the earth stands at the door! How can you disregard His just and holy requirements? How can you transgress in the very face of Jehovah? How can you cherish unholy thoughts and base passions in full view of the pure angels and of the Redeemer, who gave Himself for you that He
might redeem you from all iniquity and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works? As you contemplate the matter in the light which shines from the cross of Christ, will not sin appear too mean, too perilous, to be indulged when standing upon the very borders of the eternal world? {5T 147.3}

I speak to our people. If you draw close to Jesus and seek to adorn your profession by a well-ordered life and godly conversation, your feet will be kept from straying into forbidden paths. If you will only watch, continually watch unto prayer, if you will do everything as if you were in the immediate presence of God, you will be saved from yielding to temptation, and may hope to be kept pure, spotless, and undefiled till the last. If you hold the beginning of your confidence firm unto the end, your ways will be established in God; and what grace has begun, glory will crown in the kingdom of our God. The fruits of the Spirit are "love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." If Christ be within us, we shall crucify the flesh with the affections and lusts.

-
{5T 148.1}

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »

Here is another more pointed message that may have relevance here: 

"Stand on the side of righteousness in all your transactions; then you will not appear to disadvantage before God or man. Do not enter into any dishonest practises. Those who take up the preparation and sale of health foods for personal profit are taking a liberty to which they have no right. Thus great confusion is brought into the work. Some manufacture foods professing to be health foods which contain ingredients which health reform condemns. Then again, the foods are often of such an inferior quality that much harm is done to the cause by their sale, those who buy them supposing that all health foods are similar. {KC 137.2}

No one has any right to take advantage of the business arrangements that have been made in regard to health foods. Those who handle these foods should first come to an understanding with Dr. Kellogg or others who are working in harmony with him, and learn the best methods of handling the health foods. He who enters selfishly into this work, at the same time giving his customers the impression that the profits on the goods he sells are used for personal interest, is under the displeasure of God. By and by their business will fail, and they will get things into such a tangle that their brethren will have to buy them out to save disgrace being brought on the cause. {KC 137.3}

The Lord is greatly displeased when His service is dishonored by the selfishness of those engaged in it. He wills that every part of His work shall be in harmony with every other part, joint connecting with joint. {KC 137.4}

The Lord wants His people to stand far above selfish interests. He wants them to conquer the temptations they meet. He calls for the communion of saints. He desires His workers to stand under His supervision. He will plane and polish the material for His temple, preparing each piece to fit closely to the other, so that the building will be perfect and complete, wanting nothing. "{KC 137.5}

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »

It is frustrating when purportedly Seventh-day Adventist congregations or their "pastors" opt out of any appearance by Linda Sue Shelton. Does being neutral mean that 3ABN or James Gilley gets in anywhere, but Linda, the victim, is excluded? Sounds like serious discrepancy that must be corrected.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 08:20:11 PM »

It is frustrating when purportedly Seventh-day Adventist congregations or their "pastors" opt out of any appearance by Linda Sue Shelton. Does being neutral mean that 3ABN or James Gilley gets in anywhere, but Linda, the victim, is excluded? Sounds like serious discrepancy that must be corrected.

Gailon Arthur Joy

That doesn't sound neutral at all to me!

Are there any know cases recently where Linda Shelton has been excluded?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Ozzie

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »

Gailon Arthur Joy

That is not 'neutral' in my book Gailon. Is this currently happening? If so, where?  ???

I feel quite nauseated at times when I hear people speaking of DS and 3abn like that is the ticket to heaven. How can people be so blind? Then again, it's quite true to say that there are none so blind, as those who do not want to see.
Ozzie

~ Frank Sculley.

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »

Gailon Arthur Joy

That is not 'neutral' in my book Gailon. Is this currently happening? If so, where?  ???

I feel quite nauseated at times when I hear people speaking of DS and 3abn like that is the ticket to heaven. How can people be so blind? Then again, it's quite true to say that there are none so blind, as those who do not want to see.

And would you like to count the number? I have a file that is filling fast as we investigate and track the source of the objections.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 01:57:29 PM »

Gailon Arthur Joy

And would you like to count the number? I have a file that is filling fast as we investigate and track the source of the objections.

Gailon Arthur Joy

It's hard to believe that this is happening four years after Linda left 3ABN.

What are they so concerned about?
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

ex3abnemployee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »

It's hard to believe that this is happening four years after Linda left 3ABN.

What are they so concerned about?

I don't find it hard to believe at all. It seems like the same things are going on that happened when I worked there, only worse and more numerous.
Duane Clem
It's not about religion, It's about a relationship
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up