Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Advent Talk, a place for members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church! 

Feel free to invite your friends to come here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Seventh-day Adventist Church's Relationship to 3ABN?  (Read 40453 times)

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine

What is the Seventh-day Church's relationship to 3ABN?

Does the Seventh-day Adventist Church both see and accept 3ABN as a supporting ministry of the church?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: What is the Seventh-day Adventist Church's Relationship to 3ABN?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »

What is the Seventh-day Church's relationship to 3ABN?

Does the Seventh-day Adventist Church both see and accept 3ABN as a supporting ministry of the church?

Interesting that you ask that question, Daryl, since I just finished posting on MSDAOL a concern that possibly both MSDAOL and BSDA might be, or have been in the past, recipients of church attempts of control due to what might be categorized as criticisms of 3ABN found on both sites.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »

From www.adventist.org

The presence of Seventh-day Adventist churches, offices, and institutions around the world has established a global recognition for the Church. Public perception concerning the worldwide family of Seventh-day Adventists is influenced by the lives of members, by the actions of each organization, by denominationally-identified services and programs, and by the maintenance of aesthetic appeal at all physical properties.

What about the actions of 3ABN?

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »

Wow!  This is a very subjective question!  It depends entirely who is being asked.

What is apparent to everyone is the FACT that the Church is politically correct at every step of the way.

To cover their posterior, the decided to ask the churches not to accept donations from 3ABN, because the church has no way of knowing how or where the money would go.

It appears from the Danny Defenders that the churches have disregarded those instructions.

I believe the next move will be for Divisions to remove any hint of a relationship with 3ABN.  Let me see ... let me count the ways!

I believe word is out to further distance themselves from 3ABN!  Politically, very quietly to not ripple the water.

They will do all that is necessary to stay out of the coming explosion.

Let us pray that 3ABN will remain after Danny.  I really believe 3ABN can still be sanctified and change the way things were.  At least I am praying for that.  However, they are in the hole, but refuse to stop digging.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »

Wow!  This is a very subjective question!  It depends entirely who is being asked.

What is apparent to everyone is the FACT that the Church is politically correct at every step of the way.

To cover their posterior, the decided to ask the churches not to accept donations from 3ABN, because the church has no way of knowing how or where the money would go.

It appears from the Danny Defenders that the churches have disregarded those instructions.

I believe the next move will be for Divisions to remove any hint of a relationship with 3ABN.  Let me see ... let me count the ways!

I believe word is out to further distance themselves from 3ABN!  Politically, very quietly to not ripple the water.
They will do all that is necessary to stay out of the coming explosion.

Let us pray that 3ABN will remain after Danny.  I really believe 3ABN can still be sanctified and change the way things were.  At least I am praying for that.  However, they are in the hole, but refuse to stop digging.

So if the Seventh-day Adventist Church is quietly and in a politically correct way trying to distance itself from 3ABN...

What kind of an organization does this make the church?

It will not make a public stand as to its beliefs and standards of christian behavior?

What about all the Adventist church members who still believe in 3ABN and give their donations to it?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

We do know that it is the type of organization that will attempt to force a conservative and loyal discussion forum to remove "SDA" from its online name.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »

What caused me to bring up this topic is the discovery that 3ABN is still listed in the Adventist Organizations & Supportive Ministries section of our Conference Directory with the Canadian version of 3ABN also being listed in the Canadian Adventist Organizations & Supportive Ministries section of our Conference Directory.

Didn't 3ABN claim otherwise in the text of the lawsuit against Joy & Pickle?

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »

It seems to me that the Adventist church supports various types of organizations and "ministries"...perhaps to appeal to different types of demographics within the church...

Re:  3ABN

Re:  The Adventist film festival going on next weekend with the Saturday night gala billed thusly...quoting from their website...

" The SONscreen Awards Gala theme this year will be "Black & White Movie Classics" so feel free to dress up as your favorite classic movie character!...think, Casablanca… Best Dressed wins a prize!"

"SONscreen was created by the North American Division (NAD) of Seventh-day Adventists to nurture Christian filmmakers in their craft, career development, and spiritual lives."

A little something for everyone!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:50:09 PM by Artiste »

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:31:25 AM »

What caused me to bring up this topic is the discovery that 3ABN is still listed in the Adventist Organizations & Supportive Ministries section of our Conference Directory with the Canadian version of 3ABN also being listed in the Canadian Adventist Organizations & Supportive Ministries section of our Conference Directory.

Didn't 3ABN claim otherwise in the text of the lawsuit against Joy & Pickle?

You could quote from the lawsuit and ask them why 3ABN is still listed when they have stated such so clearly in court.

http://www.save-3abn.com/3abn-and-danny-v-joy-and-pickle-complaint.htm

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:48:58 PM »

I wonder how Seventh-day Adventist would stack up if they fit the shoes of those on this list of Republican leaders ...  Oops, aren't many SDA's voting for Republicans because they are supposed to be representing the Christians? 

The list is several pages long.  It is interesting to say the least.  "And the beat goes on!"

http://www.republicanoffenders.com/Pedophiles.html 

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:58:38 AM »

Pretty sick.

The danger of mixing politics and religion is that politicians become religious simply to win votes and support. GC warns about that when it discusses the effect of certain colonial religious laws. Those laws and the resulting leavening of the churches when the worldly started professing religion in order to be qualified to run for office were a major factor in bringing about the situation where William Miller's message was needed to bring about revival and reformation.

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:43 AM »

I wonder how Seventh-day Adventist would stack up if they fit the shoes of those on this list of Republican leaders ...  Oops, aren't many SDA's voting for Republicans because they are supposed to be representing the Christians? 

The list is several pages long.  It is interesting to say the least.  "And the beat goes on!"

http://www.republicanoffenders.com/Pedophiles.html 

I seriously doubt the relationship of  SDA leaders to 3ABN is because of the list posted here detailing the offenses of republican politicians.
I am a republican by party and not because they represent christians. Being a republican and finding agreement with their political leanings does not create pedophiles, make one more prone to become one,nor condone or accept that behavior in any way. Anymore than the process of becoming a catholic priest creates a pedophile. They are that prior to a decision on a religious or political affiliation.
You can't stop a pedophile from voting republican/democrat or joining the party,anymore than you can make one by the party they join.
Does a pedophile represent the SDA denomination because we have them join and obtain membership in the SDA church?
Have you checked out or looked up the democratic record of deviant sexual behaviour? Barney Frank,leading democrat, is an excellant example of deviant.  Number one deviant was our former commander in chief,democratic president Bill Clinton.

The SDA denomination refuses to act or become more forceful in the ongoing alleged scandel of 3ABN for reasons other than worldly political affiliation.
If political leanings were a factor,more SDA's than ever are either involved/affliated/or support democratic political leanings .

Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Fran

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 03:46:47 PM »

Bonnie;

I did not post that link to say that Republicans are all BAD!  It is just the link I went to from a link of a link.  I firmly believe that every political group has their share of deviants among their leaders. 

This was NOT a political post at all.  The point of it being a Republican list was not my point at all.  It just caused me to wonder if the church has the same kind of list.  I am sure the Catholics do.  I am sure the Democrats could produce an impressive list also.

My point was that there is evidence that there are MANY pedophiles out there.  It would stand to reason that our church is no different.  There are just no published lists out there that are public to every reader.  Maybe their needs to be one.

My point is that this deviant behaviour has become common place.  My point was that we are nearing the events that Lot experienced.  He offered his own daughters to the men, but no they would not settle for that!

It angers me that 3ABN has acted as if it was just a "sexual preference" and not something evil.  Have we come to the place where no one cares?   That was my point.

I am sorry the list said Republican.  I am also registered Republican that votes my choice, be that Republican, Democrat, or Independent.  I do not join in political discussions, but this list angered me in that pedophilia has become everyday news.  It angers me that no one has a list of all the victims to show how many lives were destroyed by the "preferences" of these molester. 

Where is justice for them?

bonnie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »

Fran,
I apologize. I did take your post the wrong way. I have read enough in past years that you have posted, I should have known better.

As to your question, there is no justice for a victim. No justice, no help, with the exception of those like Mabel Dunbar. But as I said in Abuse in the Adventist Church topic, after the rush to aid the guilty, hopefully Mabel Dunbar can reach the victim before he/she bleeds to death.
It does not matter what type of abuse, the guilty has many rushing to his side to make sure he is not feeling to much guilt, make sure he knows that the interest is in his emotional/physical/spiritual well being first and foremost.

We certainly do have "our" pedophiles". We know they are there,but if we don't rush to forgive them and feel all is well, we need to do one of two things. Say, "we do not care" which sounds pretty callous and unchristian, say we care and back it up. That takes a lot of dedication and hard work.
Far easier to offer forgivness we have no right to offer on behalf of a victim

Forgiving someone that has harmed another is a total slap in the face to any victim. I cannot forgive someone that has harmed you and what a insult.

Pedophilia,sexual immorality, sexual abuse of a vulnerable person of any age is  evil, Calling it by it's right name crowds the comfort zone of many.  IMO, many do so because if they can appear so forgiving/loving/righteous over something this evil, God will surey wink at their own "little" sins.
How many times I have had repeated to me that if I don't forgive this type of sin, God cannot forgive me mine.
They twist the meaning of forgivness and lay the twisted version of responsibility back on the victim, all the while feeling very righteous.
Looking at the evidence of the lives destroyed only confirms for the forgivness crowd, they were right. If the victim forgave, there would not be any lives destroyed.

Righteous and correct articles have been written as proof that, "Yup, we know we have a problem, we know how damaging,we know how evil. Then the work is done. They have taken that first important first step, what else do we want from them? Nothing different than an alcoholic acknowledging he has a drinking problem as he continues to drink. It has to go beyond that with dedicated committment. Sorry, it isn't there.

We can't have such a thing as a list of known pedophiles in the church. That is not christian. We must forgive them according to the dictates of those writing the rules.

As for the feeling it is just a sexual preference, I am convinced the majority don't see it as anything worse.
You have been around the forums a long time as I have, I am sure you have read the remarks.

One I remember well in response to the article written by James Cress on this type of abuse. Had I possessed any common sense, I would have understood way back then how this is viewed.
The remark was in response to a pastor being removed, no second chance. The statement or question was asked, What if a pastor bought gas on sabbath, isn't that a sin to? Doesn't God view all sin the same.

IMO What a evil thing to do to a victim. I am not talking about the abuser, but the person asking the question. Reducing the horrific acts of sexual abuse to "the sin of buying gas on sabbath".

Only when we as members react on the scale that has taken place with the demand for accountibility in org that represent our denomination, will any victim have a slim chance at any justice.

That will not happen. The problem has been solved and as soon as we can get that across to the victims and make them understand their responsibility,all will be well it is  same song, same dance.

After all the Lord will come soon, let him take care of it
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:07:00 PM by bonnie »
Beware of those that verbally try to convince you they are Christian. Check your back pocket and make sure your wallet is still there. Next check your reputation to see if it is still intact. Chances are, one or both will be missing

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »

Let Him take care of it? Mighty scary if you ask me.

He said it is better that we have a millstone hung around our neck and be cast into the depth of the sea than hurt one of God's children. better? Better than what? Better than the wrath of the Lamb on that day.

It's an odd picture, an angry Lamb. Desire of Ages has a section that explains it well.

Divine love has been stirred to its unfathomable depths for the sake of men, and angels marvel to behold in the recipients of so great love a mere surface gratitude. Angels marvel at man's shallow appreciation of the love of God. Heaven stands indignant at the neglect shown to the souls of men. Would we know how Christ regards it? How would a father and mother feel, did they know that their child, lost in the cold and the snow, had been passed by, and left to perish, by those who might have saved it? Would they not be terribly grieved, wildly indignant? Would they not denounce those murderers with wrath hot as their tears, intense as their love? The sufferings of every man are the sufferings of God's child, and those who reach out no helping hand to their perishing fellow beings provoke His righteous anger. This is the wrath of the Lamb. (DA 825)

But recall the lesson behind having to wash every time you touched something unclean in the OT sacrificial system: contact with sin defiles. We are all in danger of becoming desensitized to sin, especially if we watch the garbage that comes on TV. We can get to the point where it doesn't seem so bad anymore, and God doesn't want that to happen to us.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up